It's summer. Priorities are shifting from KPIs to SPF. So how can you manage to keep your team and clients engaged and bring people together? With unforgettable events.
Here are eye-catching event ideas to ensure early RSVPs across the board.
For the cinephiles
With two films coming out this summer and a trend taking over TikTok, a Wes Anderson theme is sure to please attendees of all ages.
Dreamy pastel decor, symmetrical interior design, and cinematic soundtracks will sweep your guests off their feet into the world of Wes Anderson.
Time: late June, nearing the release of the first film of the year, Asteroid City
Place: a luxurious hotel lobby
Decor: soft lighting, pastel colour palettes, patterned rugs, vintage accessories, saturated accent pieces
- Théâtre Rialto, Montreal
- New York City Centre, New York
- 1940 Air Terminal Museum, Houston
- Harbour Court Hotel, San Francisco
- Dress code: a character from his films
- Activity: storytime scavenger hunt based on films
- Playlist: cinematic soundtrack
- AV: photo booth
The iconic film is coming back to the screens this summer, directed by Greta Gerwig. The revival is sure to be a trendsetter for the summer of 2023.
Showcase inclusive beauty as Barbie herself “sets off for the human world to find true happiness.”
Time: July summer heat before the release on the 21st
Place: outdoor location during the day, evening at the club with pink ambience and disco balls
Decor: everything floral, saturated, bright, heightened, elegant, shimmery and fun
- The Great Northern, San Francisco
- Exploratorium, San Francisco
- San Francisco Botanical Garden, San Francisco
- Regency Event Space, New York
- Dress code: props and costumes for photos (pink car, cowboy hats…)
- Activities: rollerskating and glam booth for guests (hair styling and makeup…)
Outdoor film festival
Take to the canals of Venice and the streets of Berlin wherever you are, with a screen, a projector, and anyone keen to disappear into a story.
Time: late August, winding down the end of summer in the warm night air
Place: a rooftop, field, or grassy lawn, replete with cozy seating and glowing lights
Decor: glowing lights, greenery, vintage cameras, old cinema tickets
- Food & Beverages: candy and popcorn stand with classic soda and beers
- Props: program of films for the evening
- More: an elegant lounge area for conversation
For the creatives
Bring people together with their favorite books. Gather a variety of paper-covered books with a short description and let your guests choose a book that resonates with them. In a calm environment, everyone enjoys beverages and sweet treats and converses about their choices. Quality conversations are of the moment, and a calmer event can be a nice juxtaposition for the chaos summer can take on.
Time: anytime during the week. This can become a recurring, monthly team event where people bond over their love for books
Place: an elegant loft space or coffee shop
Decor: simple, elegant, white, wooden, flowers
- Activity: choosing a wrapped book based on the description
- Food & beverages: coffee and pastries, or wine and cheeseboards
- Playlist: soft lounge music
Wine or brews, cocktails or mocktails, have your guests create their own beverages, for wellness, indulgence, and everything in between.
Time: whenever, Thursday or Friday night
Place: vineyards, breweries, open studios
Decor: speakeasy aesthetic with unique glassware and table arrangements
- Shadybrook Estate Winery wine tasting in Napa Valley
- The Cocktail Camp cocktail inspiration
- Luna Yoga yoga classes
- Activity: learn about the process of crafting beverages
- Food & beverages: your own!
- Playlist: Gatsby movie's soundtrack
Creating a mural
or a very large canvas…painting together!
Place: art studio or gallery
Decor: open white space with painting tools galore
— Please Space Studios, New York
— Sweet Space, New York
— Skylight Loft, New York
— Canvas Club, painting
— Atelier de Brésoles, art training
— 1AM graffiti workshop
- For inspiration: brainstorming painting ideas and inspo walls
- Activities: sketching, painting, spray painting
- Gifts: polaroid photos to take home of the painting
- Playlist: old school hip hop
For the mission-driven
Connect over community work in the summer weather.
Time: warm summer day in the grass
Place: outdoor space for planting, somewhere to retreat post-planting
Decor: garden tools! flowers and plants in the post-planting venue
- Garden for the Environment, team building
- Bay Area Ice Cream Catering, ice cream
- Bios Apothecary, plant based beauty
- Activities: learn about the environment and community you will be planting in, planting, getting your hands dirty
- Food & beverages: nonalcoholic refreshment with organic snacks
Celebrate Pride August 19 to 27 with a combination of educating, supporting, and partying.
Time: evening to night, during Pride month (June.)
Place: from the parades on the streets to the glamorous nightclubs
Decor: everything saturated, colourful, bright, celebratory
— Palladium Times Square, New York
— Downtown Las Vegas Event Center, Las Vegas
— Bord'Elle, Montreal
- Party With Class, event production
- Screaming Queens Entertainment, entertainment
- Drawing Booth, experience
- Activities: learn about the history of local LGBTQ+ communities, dancing, entertainment
- AV: sound system and drawing booth
Clean up a local beach and end the day with a waterfront picnic.
Time: early evening
Place: local beach or pond, even parks if you're not near water
Decor: linen, candles, ambient lighting, cushions
- Bliss Beach, beach lounges, picnics and bonfires
- Treatbot, karaoke ice cream truck
- Theoni Collection, event decor and tabletop accessories
- Activities: clean up the beach, swimming, beach sports
- Food & beverages: ice cream truck, potluck, smores
Make summer count
What matters in 2023 for events is a combination of aesthetics and intentionality. People want to see their values reflected in the events they attend, and the companies they support.
There has to be depth to the idea, and it has to feel visually and experientially engaging.
With these ideas, we hope that you and your attendees can create a night to remember that encapsulates the feeling of summer of '23.
Related articles that could interest you
5 minTrends, themes, and checklists to nail your corporate holiday parties in 2023How to plan your corporate holiday parties in 2023 with trends, themes, and everyone's favourite: a checklist.Read the article
4 minHow to heal the scars of legacy event techWhy now is the time to embrace modern event tech for greater savings and efficiencyRead the article
2 minPlanned hosts panel at GBTA Conference 2023Planned hosts a panel at GBTA Dallas 2023 with speakers from Dropbox, Jones Lang LaSalle, and DRW.Read the article
12 minMeet Abraham Merchant, the hospitality mogul known for luxury events in AmericaRead our interview of Abraham Merchant, President and CEO of well-established hospitality group, Merchants.Read the article